Google’s “Mobilegeddon” Is Upon Us!
Unlike some other Armageddon I could mention, Google’s “Mobilegeddon” has arrived, rest assured you’ll be seeing the effect in no uncertain terms as this happens.
So what does this mean to you? Well, if your website isn’t mobile friendly, it could mean a considerable chunk of your hard earned cash! If your website has been getting away with ranking well despite not being mobile friendly, then that time is over and you will no longer reap the benefits of those rankings.
Google is not being evil here, the rise of mobile devices is undeniable so for them to continue serving non-mobile friendly websites to users on mobile devices would be insanity. They have to keep up with the times and if you haven’t done the same yourself then you’re about to pay the price!
In the meantime, here are a few key things we know that you don’t have to worry about…. for now at least. Plus some other handy stuff.
- This update does not affect tablet search results. For now it only affects smartphones.
- AdWords results will not change. This is only for organic search results
- Here is where you can test your site’s mobile friendliness with an official Google tool.
- Contrary to some other claims (about halfway down the page) that a separate mobile site doesn’t class as mobile friendly, Google Developers seem to contradict this given that they’re offering advice on how to correctly set one up to be mobile friendly.
- From all accounts, this update appears to be superior to Penguin, Panda, Hummingbird and Pigeon because it doesn’t take months to refresh. It runs as you go and so if you take a hit but rectify the problem, you won’t have to wait months to regain at least some position.
So there you have it, perhaps not quite the end of the world it’s being touted as.
Still, if you’re a business who sees a lot of smartphone traffic, or in particular smartphone purchases and you aren’t mobile friendly?……wait, no, we highly doubt that.
To be blunt about it, it’s time to fork out your cash and get mobile! Or you can just reach out and let us do it for you.
Are you ready to grow your business?
We write about a variety of topics in the digital industry.